2016 has come and gone and I’ve filled at least 4 kitchens with dirty dishes and spilled more sugar on my keyboard than is probably recommended. This blog is mostly read by my mom, sister, and boyfriend (hi guys) but occasionally a few more people pop over to oh, honey honey, and google analytics lets me know it. Here are the top 6 recipes* of 2016 according to the internet fairies.
- Blood orange olive oil cake. This was my first recipe to ever make it on food gawker and I freaked out in the middle of clinical rounds at work when I found out. This cake is moist, lightly sweet, and bright thanks to the seasonal blood oranges. I miss it.
- Dark chocolate macaroons. I made multiple batches of these cookies in one week. They are more fudge than cookie and can convert even non-coconut lovers to the party.
- Berry breakfast bars. Some Canadian website linked to these bars on my site, and again I freaked out in the middle of clinical rounds at work. In my dreams, I have some very specific Canadian following who love brown sugar, oats, and fresh berries.
- Rainbow sugar cookies. This is one recipe I am not at all surprised to see made the cut. These rainbow sugar cookies are pleasing in every way possible. Easy, bright, fun, tasty, nostalgic. They are everything.
- Strawberry tarts with shortbread crust. I was so pleased with these! Buttery crust, creamy filling, and bright strawberries sliced thinly on top. This is also when I learned how hard it is to photograph powdered sugar.
- Homemade thin mints. I’m not sure if there is a better summer cookie than a cool chocolate mint cookie pulled straight out of the freezer. Extra points for adding rainbow sprinkles for no reason whatsoever.
* I don’t totally understand google analytics or the internet fairies and could only find the top six.